Located in the scenic Blue Mountains west of Sydney, the historic Hazelbrook Railway Station has been upgraded with enhanced accessibility features, helping its users get from A to B with greater ease whilst encouraging public transport use.Delivered as part of the Transport for New South Wales (TfNSW) ‘Transport Access Program’, Beca were commissioned to help design, procure and oversee these accessibility upgrades to Hazelbrook Railway Station over an 18 month period
The $13.2 million station upgrade project also had to occur within the context of a fully operational railway station serving large numbers of local commuters and tourists each day.
Working in partnership with TfNSW, our team successfully delivered the station upgrade whilst minimising disruptions to day-to-day operations, and in compliance with stringent BCA (Building Code of Australia) and DDA (Disability Discrimination Act) standards.
Services we provided included:
- Geotechnical Engineering - From the very start of the project, our Geotechnical team who have extensive experience of the Transport Access Program, provided an extensive geological investigation of the Hazelbrook site. This included assessing the risk of rockfall that may impact the track and station platform from sandstone cuttings during the construction phase.
- Station Structure and Building Services – Fire and Mechanical engineering services, including Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) for the historic station building, first constructed in 1902. A new elevated concourse, lift and stairs were created in addition to revised access ramps and wayfinding facilities
- Civil Engineering – overseeing the upgrade of footpaths, carparking and drainage adjacent to the railway station.
- Earthing – developing a fully code compliant earthing, bonding, isolation and electrolysis protection plan for the railway station and surrounds.
- Electrical – preparing analysis for and upgrading existing power supply to the station. CCTV cameras were also upgraded for enhanced commuter safety.
Now complete with these enhanced features, Hazelbrook Railway Station will continue making everyday better by providing a superior and more accessible public transport experience in this beautiful part of Australia.
Image Credit: TfNSW, 2018
Station building constructed
Our Team Says
Our team's tenacity to deliver these works to demanding timeframes, against the backdrop of working on a historic facility during its regular day-to-day operations was a great achievement.
What We've Done
AMETI – Panmure Rail Station Upgrade
Enhancing customer experience with upgraded public transportAbout the journey
Chalmers Street and Granville Junction Substations
The driving force keeping Sydney’s trains runningFind out how
More Trains, More Services Sydney