Sunshine Coast Airport has big growth plans for the years ahead, and Beca is making it possible by providing international best practice airfield engineering design for their new runway.Beca was commissioned by Sunshine Coast Regional Council (SCRC) in 2016 to undertake engineering design for the new Runway 13/31 at their increasingly busy Sunshine Coast Airport, as part of the Sunshine Coast Airport Expansion Project (SCAEP).
Following completion of the Reference Design, Beca were novated to John Holland Group by SCRC to undertake the detailed Design Phase. Opening this gateway to Asia in a timely manner is a key driver for the future economic growth of the region.
Runway 13-31 is 45m wide, 2,450m long with a runway turn pad connecting taxiways to the existing aprons, together with new apron parking bays to accommodate larger aircraft. The longer runway and larger parking bays allow wider bodied Code 4E aircraft to fly direct from Asia to Sunshine Coast Airport.
In summary this project involved:
- Closure and removal of the existing runways 18-36 and 12-30.
- Dredging of approximately 1.2-1.5Mm³ sand-fill from the Spitfire Realignment.
- Half-length parallel Code E taxiway with Code B Bypass Holding Bay.
- Reconstruction of existing Apron and construction of apron extension to provide 1 new Code E bay plus 2 new Code C bays, including connecting taxiway/taxilane and associated infrastructure.
- Construction of airside perimeter roads and security fencing.
- Construction of significant drainage channels to convey flood waters around the runway construction.
A collaborative and integrated delivery approach enabled us to complete both the Preliminary Design and Reference Design within tight timelines, without disrupting the airport’s day-to-day operations.
A reduction in the overall drainage design costs was also achieved by incorporating several design elements, including the use of specific treatment devices and increasing the hydraulic efficiency of stormwater channels by increasing longitudinal grades.
The new Runway 13-31 was officially opened in June 2020, providing fresh connections for the Sunshine Coast Region to destinations across Australia, Asia and the Pacific!
- Winner of the Civil Contractors Federation (CCF) Earth Awards 2021 - Project greater than $75million category
Image credit: Sunshine Coast Airport
New runway length
Our Team Says
We’re proud to support the expansion of this important infrastructure at Sunshine Coast Airport, which will support the continued growth of the region.
Senior Associate - Airports
Our Client Says
This Project has required expedited design activities to facilitate a compressed timeframe for delivery. I have been very impressed with Beca’s collaborative approach, their responsiveness to our needs and the attention to detail which they have applied to this iconic project. They achieved a design timeline that exceeded my expectations.
SCAEP Project Director
What We've Done
Gold Coast Airport Runway 14-32 Rehabilitation
Working together to keep the tourists comingThis is how
Gold Coast Airport Taxiway Charlie Link
Improving efficiency by increasing aircraft routing optionsTake flight
Melbourne Airport Foxtrot Apron Infill