The 367-room 5-star PARKROYAL on Pickering Hotel completed in 2013, is greatly admired around the world as a model of green building design and has been dubbed ‘Singapore’s most awarded sustainable hotel’.
Singapore is home to some of the world’s most lavish hotels and office buildings. However, the PARKROYAL on Pickering stands out from this distinguished field with its award winning “hotel in a garden” design that breaks up the ‘wall of buildings’ in this densely populated city.
Together with its accompanying Grade A office building, the hotel features 15,000 square metres of sky gardens, planter terraces, waterfalls and cascading vertical greenery, twice its surface land area.
Beca was engaged by the developer UOL Group back in 2007, whom we worked closely with during the concept design stage alongside internationally acclaimed architects WOHA, to provide MEP (Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing) engineering services that integrated creative and sustainable design elements.
The result is stunning design with a garden at its core, that features energy- saving elements incorporated throughout the building. The hotel’s green features include rainwater harvesting, automatic sensors to regulate energy and water usage and solar cells that power landscape lighting.
In the years since it opened, PARKROYAL on Pickering has received several local and international awards.
In particular, the President’s Design Award commended this project for offering “a measure of green relief to the surrounding streets”, and for “solving a complex problem radically with imagination and flair, bringing lush greenery and integrated landscape to high-rise development”.
Image credit: Uniq Hotels 2019, Stait Times 2021
- 2011 Singapore Economic Development Board - Solar Pioneer Award
- 2012 BCA Green Mark Platinum Award - Hotel & Residential
- 2013 National Parks Board of Singapore, Skyrise Greenery Awards - Outstanding Award
- 2013 Hotel Investment Conference Asia Pacific – Sustainable Hotel Award
- 2013 South East Asia Property Awards – Best Hotel Architecture Design
- 2013 World Architecture News (WAN) Awards – Hotel of the Year
- 2013 Singapore President Design Award
- 2014 International Property Awards 2014 - Hotel Architecture, Hotel Interior, New Hotel Construction & Design & Commercial Landscape Architecture
- 2015 CTBUH, Award of Excellence – Urban Habitat
- 2015 National Parks Board of Singapore, Landscape Excellence Assessment Framework (LEAF) - Outstanding Project
- 2015 MIPIM, Asia Awards - Best Hotel and Tourism Development (Gold)
- 2016 SIA, Architectural Design Awards - Commercial Projects Award
- 2019 BCA-SGBC, Sustainability Leadership Awards - Leadership in Sustainable Design and Performance (Commercial)