The Beca-Hatch team were proud to be recognised alongside GHD and Fulton Hogan for our outstanding work on Melbourne Airport’s Runway Overlay Project, at the recent Melbourne Airport Excellence Awards 2023.
Held as a black-tie dinner at the Ritz Carlton Melbourne on Friday 16 June, our combined team were awarded under the ‘Excellence in Environment, Social & Governance’ category for the incredible outcomes we’ve achieved on the Melbourne Airport Runway Overlay Project since October 2021.
Designed to improve the serviceability of Melbourne Airport’s main north-south runway by completing an asphalt overlay and associated improvements to airfield ground lighting, the judging panel was particularly impressed by the collaborative efforts of key project participants from Beca, Hatch, GHD and Fulton Hogan in achieving positive environmental and social outcomes, whilst undertaking these crucial maintenance works.
Some of the positive outcomes we made a reality include:
- the first Melbourne Airport project to track carbon emissions through the design process, achieving a significant reduction in Scope 3 emissions from the base case - this was thanks to the use of LED and solar lighting and recycling of construction waste
- the first Melbourne Airport airfield project to have a large female participation in the design and delivery space (18 females in total)
- employing Oakleigh Centre Connections Enterprises (OCCE), a social enterprise focusing on finding meaningful employment for people with disabilities
- employing Djuwara, an indigenous-owned company, to manage all chemical, construction and office waste, and support social procurement
- managing the project within PFAS Framework, using the successful Gate 11 facility.
In commenting on this incredible achievement, Hatch Project Director Joseph Walsh said, “Planning for this project commenced in January 2021. Working through the key gates of the Melbourne Airport Project Process, which involved extensive internal and external stakeholder engagement, this engagement underpins the project’s success to date including this prestigious award”.
Meanwhile, Beca’s Project Manager Michael Crawford said, “Being nominated for the ‘Excellence in Environment, Social & Governance’ award and invited to the awards night has been a wonderful experience for the project team. It has allowed us to both celebrate and also reflect on the collaborative nature of this project.
"Everyone involved, including various teams within Melbourne Airport and Airservices Australia have worked together towards a common goal of helping the airport enhance its standing in the local community and make improvements in sustainability. Winning was the icing on the cake”. - Michael Crawford.
About the Melbourne Airport Excellence Awards
The Melbourne Airport Excellence Awards honour and reward anyone who contributes excellence to the airport, delivering on our vision to become ‘Australia’s favourite airport destination’. The awards are open to individuals, organisations, contractors, suppliers, partners and volunteers. They welcome nominations by members of the Melbourne Airport community, travellers and visitors to the airport.
The Excellence in Environment, Social & Governance award recognises the commitment provided by organisations to Melbourne Airport’s performance as a steward of the environment, contributing to the enhancement of the airport’s reputation in the local community, and as a sustainable business.
Learn more about our award-winning airports team here.