A stepchange in teaching facilities, the Centennial Building balances traditional and modern learning environments to provide a world class facility for the next generation of students at King's School in Auckland, New Zealand.
From initial seismic assessments on the school's existing buildings, through to the completion of the project, we have guided the school to deliver on their vision to create a world class, state of the art education facility.
The Centennial Building is located in the centre of the school and connects with four existing buildings. A modern and flexible building with traditional classrooms, breakout spaces and specialist performance spaces creates a variety of teaching environments. The new building is helping teachers evolve their interaction with their students and deliver on the school's vision to "develop the individual talents of each boy….for life."
The project was planned to minimise disruption to the operation of the school during construction, and careful planning was required to achieve this, including adjusting the school calendar. Access routes needed to be maintained through the construction site, and the project received a NZIOB Excellence Award for Safety in recognition of this.
Overall, the Centennial Building has become the new heart of the school, striking a balance between traditional and modern learning environments for the benefit of the students – present and future.
- 2018 Learning Environments Awards - Best in Category: New Construction/Individual Facility Over $8 Million
- 2018 Property Council New Zealand Awards – GIB Education Property Award, Best in Category Award
- 2018 Property Council New Zealand Awards – GIB Education Property Award, Excellence Award
- NZIA 2018 Auckland Architecture Awards – Education
- NZIOB 2016 Site Safe Safety Excellence Award