On 12 August 2016, the Strategic Relationship Principles Agreement between New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) and Beca Ltd (Beca) was officially signed by Mr Charles Lott (Chief of Joint Defence Services, NZDF) and Dr Thomas Hyde (Group Director - Defence and Advisory, Beca).
The agreement formalises the principles underpinning the already long-standing relationship between NZDF and Beca, and creates opportunities for the two organisations to engage more in strategic interaction around complementary goals and outcomes.
The agreement will provide a mechanism for senior leadership engagement and strategy alignment, including; shared leadership development and training opportunities; staff secondment exchanges to gain commercial and specialist engineering experience; and involvement and attendance at relevant leadership and technical conferences within each organisation.
Beca is a long-standing New Zealand enterprise that was established in 1918 by Arthur Gray, a returning WW1 serviceman. We have worked with NZDF for over 50 years providing a range of engineering, sustainment and consulting services. Our team has been involved in major property and infrastructure as well as major defence capabilities from needs and requirements development through acquisition and project management, and then introducing these into service and sustainment through life.
The relationship between Beca and NZDF continues to strengthen as we work together on projects and in embedded continuing services roles. Recent projects include:
- Project Takitini - the redevelopment of RNZAF Base Ohakea major infrastructure and facilities
- Ongoing airfields maintenance and improvement projects
- Logistics Change Programme - the functional reorganisation and establishment of the NZDF Joint Logistics Command
- Integrated Mission Support Services for the mission and sensor control system on P3-K2 Orion Aircraft and Avionics Software Support Services for the SH-2G(I) Seasprite Helicopter involving an embedded workforce more than 25 staff at Whenuapai Air Force Base
- Simulator development including the Phalanx 1B Close in Weapons System operator console, and simulator maintenance of Royal New Zealand Air Force helicopter full motion flight simulators
- Programme Business Case development for NZDF Estate Regeneration.
We are extremely proud of our association with NZDF and the services we have delivered in the past 50 years, and we look forward to enhancing our longstanding relationship for the future.