A seismic upgrade was the catalyst to transform this 1980s Wellington office block into an efficient, sustainable showpiece – and one of the most cost-effective 5* Green Star buildings in New Zealand.
Located in the heart of Wellington’s CBD, 22 The Terrace is proof that older office towers can demonstrate market-leading green credentials with some smart design and clever thinking.
Challenged to deliver a highly sustainable retrofit with a build period of just over a year, structural upgrades have brought the building up to 100%NBS, with the building now ready for the next 50 years.
Furthermore, sustainable features incorporated into the building are the envy of many new-builds and appropriate to its location in Wellington’s commercial heart. They include:
- rainwater harvesting – particularly valuable given the pressure on water supply in central Wellington
- a high-performance film applied to the existing single-glazing and the existing envelope insulated, which transformed the comfort for the building’s users, while simplifying the construction programme
- upcycling the building’s existing fabric – from the main structure and façade to stair handrails and hydraulic systems
- replacing the gas boiler for a modern efficient plant that contributes to an estimated 70% reduction in operational carbon against the Building Code
- deployment of Beca’s BTune service to identify further energy reductions and help achieve a 5* NABERSNZ rating once the tenants returned.
Our project team also had to negotiate a wide-range of challenges – from the lockdowns and supply-chain constraints of the pandemic, through to updates to the Green Star tool, while delivering a culture change for how the building operates – significantly complicated by the wide range of tenants.
A worthy recipient of several industry awards, 22 The Terrace has set a precedent – that sustainable, low carbon, modern office space can be achieved at an attractive price point, and that a light touch can have a transformative impact.
- 2021 Property Council New Zealand - Wellington Property People Awards:
- Excellence in Sustainability Award
- 2022 Property Council New Zealand - Property Industry Awards:
- Excellence – Commercial Office
- Excellence – Green Building
Litres of rainwater storage
Star Green Star
Less operational carbon
Our team says…
The greenest future requires us to upgrade the buildings we've already got. 22 The Terrace is the best example of how to do this quickly and efficiently and make it future ready.
Our client says…
22 The Terrace has 'broken the mould', demonstrating that high sustainable outcomes can be achieved with typical older 80s buildings.
Senior Development Manager, Stride Property Group