Buyers buy differently to how they used to five years ago. Professional services organisations that understand this and are nimble enough to change will prosper.
Buyers buy differently to how they used to. Potential employees consider who they want to work for in a different way. How a decision is made today is scarily different to how it was made five years ago. By 2020 that will be even scarier for some.
Some scary statistics from Gartner
- Scary statistic number 1 - 95% of decision makers expects insight from their service provider.
- Scary statistic number 2 - By 2020 85% of interactions between businesses will be executed without human intervention.
- Scary statistic number 3 – 75% of buyers use social to research and assist the buying process.
That’s today. By 2020 that % will be even more!
Professional services organisations that understand this and are nimble enough to move with this change will prosper.
Is there anyone in professional services who still thinks buying decisions are made entirely on the strength of a bid or proposal? Or a new employee applies on the strength of a job advertisement alone? Those who think that need to step aside!
The price of doing the same old thing is far higher than the price of change. --Bill Clinton
Your buyers are buying their barbecue or lawnmower by using social media as a research tool. They are arriving at their local hardware store with a clear idea what they are after.
Some scary facts
- Scary fact number 1 - The same buyer does not come to work on Monday and says “turn social media off now as I only make decisions through tender processes!”
- Scary fact number 2 - The buyer controls the buying decision. All you can hope to do is influence that. Maybe you already knew that but it's the way to influence that is changing!
So what does that mean? It means you need to influence the buyer’s perception of both your organisation and, just as important; their perception of you.
How do you do that? By sharing insight, giving opinions, leading debate, giving IP (yes, IP!!) or as it’s often all grouped; thought leadership! Savvy people in savvy professional services organisations are doing this and doing it well. It’s those people in those organisations who are responding to how their buyers and new hires of today and tomorrow want to consume information and use it to make an informed buying decision. It’s those people who clients and potential employees will think of first when an issue or opportunity arises.
It’s those organisations and those people in the organisations who will be unique. So now is the time for YOU to get writing! And don't wait for your Marketing team to do it for you because your buyer wants your thought leadership, not someone else's that's been dressed up as yours! And remember one quote if you are still grappling with why?
You are so busy being YOU that you have no idea how utterly unprecedented you are. -- John Green