From 19-21 September, Water New Zealand hosted its 60th Conference & Expo in Hamilton, New Zealand. As part of this Conference and our new collaboration with Black & Veatch (B&V), Cindy Wallis-Lage, President, Global Water Business at B&V, attended as a keynote speaker.
The Gala Dinner and awards ceremony, held on Wednesday 20 September, celebrated achievements across the water industry in New Zealand. Our winners on the night were:
- Association Medal – Garry Macdonald – only the 6th recipient of this premier award
- Ronald Hicks Memorial Award – Nick Marquez
- 5S Conference Attendance Prize – Caroline Hope
- Gold Shovel Award (aka Select Society of Sanitary Sludge Shovelers or 5S) – Humphrey Archer – joining a select global group of "Gold Shovelers”, which includes Beca Water's Clive Rundle, Rob Fullerton and Garry Macdonald (and previous Beca Principals John Fitzmaurice and Graeme Leggat)
- Pipeline & Civil Project Award – Mangere BNR Project
As well as the above awards, we also proudly awarded Troy Brockbank the Beca Young Water Professional of the Year 2018. Established in 2009, the Beca Young Water Professional of the Year award is aimed at acknowledging and rewarding an exceptional water professional under the age of 35, for their significant contribution and achievement in the water industry and general community. It recognises that the water industry encompasses a wide field of disciplines including, but not limited to, research, policy development, law, education, engineering, consulting, construction and community initiatives.
We had a record-breaking 15 presenters at this year’s conference, covering a range of interesting topics from The Future of Wellhead Protection to Environmental Consents: How we might improve them in New Zealand. Read more about the conference, and those who attended, here.
The conference is a highlight in the 3-waters events calendar – bringing together like-minded professionals to share experiences and knowledge, and build new relationships, and we are already looking forward to next year.