With a combination of expertise and the right resources, Beca was able to assist with early solutions to the complex challenges of this project, allowing demolition and foundation retrofit work to proceed before the design for the buildings had been finalised.
Pacific Place Jakarta is an impressive landmark, now dominating Jakarta's Sudirman CBD precinct. A previous project abandoned mid-construction during the 1998 Asian economic crisis, the site was transformed, and in the process set a precedent in terms of scale, complexity, organisation and speed of construction for a development of this type.
Beca provided mechanical and electrical, and structural engineering services, working in a design team with the international architects Smallwood Reynolds Stewart Stewart and local architects and engineers.
Being a complex three tower structure in a seismically active area, Beca's seismic design expertise was a major factor in developing successful structural solutions early in the design process.
With the project being constructed on an abandoned site, significant structural engineering challenges needed to be overcome. The new buildings were quite different from the original plan for which the piles and foundations were already constructed, so demolition, foundation strengthening, new piles for the new structures were all required.
The 420,000m² mixed-use development includes:
- two 33-storey luxury apartment towers.
- a 39-storey mixed-use tower (office, hotel and serviced apartments).
- a 60-room boutique six-star Ritz-Carlton hotel.
- an eight-level retail mall and entertainment podium, including a single 45m span, 3,700m² ballroom
- swimming pools and gardens covering the podium roofdeck
- four levels of basement (previously constructed but significantly reconfigured).
With utility infrastructure in the city somewhat limited, the site is designed to be almost self-contained for its utility needs. It has a water treatment plant, a wastewater treatment and reclamation plant and 30 MW of electricity generators to give full back-up power.
Beca's input allowed demolition and foundation retrofit work to proceed before finalising the design. As a result, work was underway on site within four weeks of Beca coming on board.
- 2008 Merit Award - Association of Consulting Engineers New Zealand (ACENZ)